Thursday, January 21, 2010

flowering bok choy & broccoli sprouts.


Flowering Baby Bok Choy & Broccoli Sprouts

*During my last trip to the farmer's market I noticed that baby bok choy raab had come back in season. I have always fancied eating edible flowers and edible tidbits during growth stages of plants. Flowering plants are divine. They offer delicately sweet petals that smell of sweet pollinated centers of spring flowers. I treated myself to a big bag of flowering raab and couldn't wait to get creative with usage.
My raab is bright yellow and sure to bust the blues. I feel sunshine inside just looking at it. In the picture above I placed my meal in a planter box to represent growth. It's raining outside or I would of placed it in the grass (for looks - don't worry, I kept things clean and ate it inside!). My raab is surrounded by a bed of fresh broccoli sprouts and resting on top of blended avocado.
It's got a pungent, broccoli-bitter tastes with a delightfully soft crunch to it!


Here are some fun facts about Bok Choy & Broccoli:

BOK CHOY

Bok Choy & Chinese NutritionNature: cool, pungent and sweet

Actions: clears heat, lubricates the intestines, removes stagnant food, quenches thirst, promotes digestion

Conditions: food retention, constipation,

indigestion, diabetes

Nutrition:


Bok choy, a member of the cabbage family, is rich in vitamin C, beta-carotene, folate, fiber and calcium. It also contains indoles, an anticancer phytochemical.


BROCCOLI

Broccoli & Chinese NutritionNature: cooling

Actions: clears heat, promotes diuresis, brightens eyes, aids summer heat problems.

Conditions: conjunctivitis, nearsightedness,
difficult urination.

Nutrition:

Broccoli is loaded with nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamin C and A, folate, potassium and fiber. Broccoli contains two anti-cancer compounds - sulforaphane and indoles.



This recipe is easy to make, delicious and nutritious!


I used 1 ripe organic Gwen avocado, 1 cup broccoli sprouts & 1 cup flowering baby bok choy (plus some oxygen water to blend) and blend them together in my small food processor until desired consistency was reached. I placed my "green goop" in a bowl and sprinkled broccoli sprouts & some more raab on top!


I could not find nutritional information on bok choy raab & broccoli sprouts so I can't tell you the exact "nutritional label" details and have decided to leave that out for this recipe. Flowering raab & sprouts are low in calories, fat free, contain small amounts of vegetable protein & fiber and great sources of enzymes. They possess the nutritional healing traits and properties of their mature plants. ALWAYS USE RAW!