Friday, January 29, 2010

poison ivy.

"Oh my God!" Yes, you read it. Yes, I'm sure you've said it but what really does it mean?

This term "Oh my God" so popularly used that I wouldn't even call it slang. It's spread like poison ivy and many people are exposed and many of them are left itching their scratches which only make them worse.

Some of you may think I am making a mountain out of a molehill to dissect three words grouped together but when words grouped together involve mention of God I feel it fair to evaluate. I am doing this more often as I grow closer in relationship to God and want to do what is respectful to Him so things like this DO count. If He made our mouths than surely He can shape our mouths, all those who are willing.

I also feel it important to add that in the 3rd commandment it says we are not to use God's name in vain. Therefore, this topic is more like a mountain and all those failing to acknowledge it are the molehills. There should be no belittling of God or breaking of His laws yet one way or another we are all doing something, we are all sinning.

I came across this great article from someone who obviously took a ton of time to put thought into this topic. You can read it here:

I use to say "Oh my God!" in reaction to things without even thinking about how using God's name so freely might effect Him. It was just a saying and I wasn't the only one saying it It was being used so frequently and predominantly that it felt like habitual vocabulary.

Lately, I have stopped to think about the usage of phrase and it's purpose. I have concluded that it serves no real purpose and is a disrespectful way of calling on God - when really it isn't even about calling on God but calling on carelessness. Stop for a moment and think about this. What if the new phrase became "Oh my (insert your name here)!" and people all around the nation used this new phrase in term of "Oh my God!" Everywhere you'd go you would be hearing people calling out your name for no apparent reason. Don't you think that after awhile you'd get pretty annoyed? frustrated? on edge?

Well, how do you think God feels when He hears people - all people - tossing His name around like a rag doll? God has the power to hear all people, therefore He is listening to all these comments and their content no matter what the intention is. Think about it! Think about respect! I feel the most disrespectful way to use God's name is in vain which is really an umbrella term for various phrases.

Even the most beautiful plant may be poisonous inside, infectious. God knows our hearts and the more respect we have for Him the bigger our hearts are to Him. I have been trying hard to eliminate phrases in my vocabulary to better serve my Lord. God honors the steps we allow Him to guide us to take. As sheep follow their Shepherd, we should all follow Him.


Psalm 23

A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


Heart to Heart: Tonight's Question:

What does your vocabulary say about you?