Tuesday, January 19, 2010

rawocado spinach smoothie.


Sensational ~ Smoothie
*Rawocado Spinach Style*

Avocado smoothies are a big
hit with me! For those of you
that don't know, avocados are
my favorite food on the face of
this beautiful bountiful earth! I
have used them as a staple food
in my eating disorder recovery.
Years ago during hardcore
anorexic days I would not even
consider eating a slice of one due
to their energy density (caloric
and fat intake). When I went raw,
6 years ago, everything changed. Calorie counting no longer consumed
me and if I did track calories it was to make sure I was getting ENOUGH
verse not enough like before. I have become a Master of avocado
picking & eating. I eat them on a daily basis and if given the correct
circumstances I don't think I've ever had an avocado I didn't just LOVE.
My favorite way to eat them is to cut one in half and pratice fruit
meditation while I slowly spoon out the nutty nutritious flesh OR I like
to blend them with other fruit or heaping handfuls of greens ; ) They
are a perfect food and best eaten as less complicated as possible. I am
currently enjoying organic Gwen avocados (one of the many varitites)
from my local farmer's market. Gwen avocados seem to be a little
sweeter and saltier in flavor than Haas (my second favorite variety)
which makes them my favorite variety tried thus far... and I have had
a few varieties in my days. I wanted to share one of my raw avocado
smoothie recipes. Your taste buds will do backflips and your body will
thank you for every savory sip. I used spinach for this one but any
green will do. I also fancy making this with parsley as my green choice.
Spinach and parsley are two greens that have a salty taste to them
and pair beautifully with the nutty richness of the avocado and sweet
sensations of coconut water and raw honey. Heaven in a glass, at last!

Ingredients:
- 1 Ripe Organic Avocado
- 1 Thai Young Coconut (water only, reserve coconut meat
for other recipes and usage - it's very nutritious)
- 1 HEAPING Handful of Organic Spinach (about 2 cups)
- *Optional - Raw Organic Honey
-* Optional - A Few Ice Cubes to Chill

Instructions:
- Crack and open your Thai young coconut, pour water
into your Vitamix or high speed blender.
- Remove pit from avocado, spoon into blender and toss
in your greens and optional honey & ice if desired.
- Blend until smooth. Smoothie will be of a thicker base.
- Pour, sip slow, chew (yes chew your smoothies to aid
in optimal digestion and absorption!) and ENJOY!!!

Nutritional Information:
Based on 1 16oz (2 cup) Serving
w/raw honey included in calculations
*Serving sizes & nutritional info may
vary depending on amount of ingredients

Calories aka Energy:385
Healthy Fat: 23 grams
(Cholesterol Free)
Natural Sodium: 320 grams
Healthy Carbohydrates: 45 grams
Natural Sugars: 21 grams
Fiber: 10 grams
Protein: 10 grams

Nutritional Highlights:
- Rich in heart healthy poly & monounsaturated fats
- Excellent source of vegetable based protein
- Friendly in fiber to promote a clean colon
- Packed with potassium, vitamins a,b,c,e,k -
antioxidants, calcium, folate, iron, chlorophyll,
magnesium, fiber, enzymes, plant protein and
HIGH source of electrolytes (potassium/sodium)
-Coconut water is one of the best electrolyte
drinks available and all natural! Toss your fake
sport drinks and enhanced waters goodbye -
grab a coconut and watch your energy fly high!

Check out www.avocado.org for more info on
avocados and how they can benefit your health.
Many people are uneducated and unaware of
how HEALTHY they are for you and avoid them
due to fear of their dietary fat content when
really they contain the kind the body needs. I
eat an entire avocado at a time and do not give
a hoot about serving sizes. If you must be fruggle
with them then I suggest you alter your servings
per ounce. Example: one medium avocado will
generally contain 5-6 1oz servings, that's 5-6
fruit servings in that entire avocado with general
ratios added above in my Nutritional Information.


Everything in balance. Everything in variety.
Everything in harmony & don't forget your avocado yo!

+ 1 Samuel 25:6 +
"Long life to you! Good health to you and your household! And good health to all that is yours!"